Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Sewing Method Isolated Pin Stitches

Here is my "secure and carry" method that I use every once in a while for isolated pin stitches. This is not an official method but it seems to work. Give it a try and adapt it as you like!

In summary, I complete the top leg first and then secure the bottom leg by stitching it as two sets of quarter stitches. 

If there are many isolated stitches I just carry my threads between all of them (I dislike starting and finishing threads so frequently!) and then snip/trim all the carries at the end. Because all the threads' starts and tails are secure they don't need any additional weaving or tucking. 

When using DMC I may even carry as far as an inch or two(!), but with overydyes and silks I wouldn't go over an inch because it would waste too much thread. And of course, trim them all at the end.















If you are carrying over to the center of the second stitch....👇:






7 comments:

  1. I just learned something new!! Thank you for the step by step instructions plus pictures 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on your Instagram and want to thank you for taking the time to post it here as well. The pictures and instructions are great and so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this tip! I’m going to try it. I hate flipping my fabric over to secure my starting stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So helpful! Confetti is my enemy. Could you explain why you cut your carries? As a newer stitcher I'm sure there's something I don't know here. I would just stitch over them instead of having all the little fly-aways on the back. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut them for a couple of reasons: So they don't show through after I frame/finish my piece; to prevent them from snagging on stuff while stitching (like the my fingers, my clothes, the chart, etc. Snags distort stitches badly!); and when it's finished the fabric usually gets pulled taut for framing or stretched when stuffed as a pillow and the carries can create too much tension in the back and pucker the fabric. Having said that, there are probably many scenarios where the carries are totally fine! I do trim the fly-aways down more than the picture though ;)

      Delete